Thread: Anybody know more about this story?

Anybody know more about this story?

An older pool player was telling me a story invovling Willie Mosconi, while he was emabarrasing me by running seemingly countless racks of eight ball(for awhile I had forgotten 8ball was supposed to involve two people.) Apparently, at some point in time there was an invitational straight pool championship. Mosconi was in the final, as well as someone the old timer had forgotten the name of. In the middle of the match this unknown player began complaining about the table, and insisted that the game be switched to another table. Mosconi refused, as the table was in perfect condition. The unknown player proceeded to pull out a knife and cut a hole in the felt. Mosconi was declared the victor, and mr. unknown was subsequently suspended by the governing body of pool at the time for a year. He apparently never returned to professional play, as he started a successfull buisness of some sort.

The story the old timer told about this unknown pool player got a little stranger. He claimed that this player had a wooden prosthetic limb, and often sharked opponents by sticking a knife in his prosthesis as his opponent was about to shoot.

Can anyone confirm this outrageous story, or fill in any of the missing details?

Re: Anybody know more about this story?

I've heard or read this story too, at least the part about him complaining about the table and then cutting the felt. Hadn't heard about the knife-in-the-leg bit though.

David

I believe it was a billiard player, not a pool player. Bob Cannafax I think, but am not remembering it exactly. That anecdote, as well as others, are in the book I told you to get - McGoorty. Others have ranked that book highly as well. So I will excuse you not getting it yet because you have stated your financial difficulties here, but really think you should credit card order the thing. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

GL, you will like the book when you get it.

I have been wanting to get the Mcgoorty since reading "Lem the Barber" and "De Oro's bladder" in Byrne's collection of pool stories. I actually am going to try it order in the next week or two. I have a job interview for a 2nd job today, so hopefully that will help my finances. I have been counting down the days to harness racing season, and decided unless I get a 2nd job harness racing will suck. Pool and Horse racing, are there any greater pursuits in life... [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As far as credit cards... I think Citybank Visa, may try to take my life soon, so that is not really an option. :g

McGoorty from Amazon

It's pretty cheap though. . .

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=books

===============
    You are what you do when it counts.--The Masao
    heater<span style="color: red">451</span>