Thread: Ball hopping off rails.

Ball hopping off rails.

What can I do to stop the balls from hopping when they hit the rail. thnks for any info :

Re: Ball hopping off rails.

Stop hitting them so hard. You're welcome [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, the nose of the cushion should be slightly higher than the center of the ball. I'm not sure by how much. I'm sure someone can provide more info.

The tip of the cushion should be about 1 29/64" from the top of the cloth. If it's lower than that, balls tend to jump.

Put shims under the rails. You should be able to hit a ball 4 rails side to side without the ball hopping much.
    KenCT

Rail height would be the common issue. Wrong profile installed? Is this a new, used and or bar table? If the cushion rubber is hard or starting to crystallize that can cause a hop also.
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jwolfe:</font><hr> What can I do to stop the balls from hopping when they hit the rail. thnks for any info : <hr /></blockquote>

Check the cushions out. Walk around the table and check the entire length of the cushions for loose spots. Also check the height of the cushion nose all along the rail. If you detect either looseness or a cushion height out of spec, or both conditions, call a table mechanic.
    Those are the two leading causes of 'ball hop'.

BTW- to avoid loose spots, never let anyone sit on the rails.

Fats
    SF

Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake.-- Tartakower