Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Predator warps!

Predator warps!

Well, looks like Iíve got the only warped Predator shaft I've ever heard of.

I first noticed it a few months ago when I was down on a shot and thought the cue looked crooked, so I would just rotate it until it didnít look so crooked. This actually happened many times since then. I truly thought maybe it was just the way I was seeing things Ė like the grain or something Ė and it was an optical illusion that I was seeing.

Well, I finally recently took a minute to look at it and itís warped just like a big bow! Not a small warp at the end like Iíve seen before, but a big bow along the whole length of the shaft! I sighted down it and saw this, so I unscrewed the shaft from the butt and sighted down each of these. The butt is straight Ė the shaft is warped. This is confirmed again by rolling each piece on the table. Thereís no doubt that the shaft is warped big time.

I have no reason to believe itís not a manufacturer defect, like one bad green wood splice piece that finally shrunk and took the whole shaft with it. I care for my equipment properly. I do not leave it in a closed car in 100 degree weather or in freezing weather. I do not leave it in humid places, nor do I leave it standing against the wall nor do I leave it anywhere under any adverse conditions with any weird forces weighing against it.

The shaft is almost two years old. About six months ago, I acquired a different cue that I use to play with, but have continued to use the old (warped) shaft as a practice cue several times a week.

I know thereís nothing you can do to help me. I just wanted to let you know that Predator shafts do warp for no reason sometimes (well, and maybe I was hoping for a little sympathy...)

Is there any value in a warped Predator shaft, like maybe collector value because itís a unique one-of-a-kind item that you canít find anywhere else? Or is it relegated to the expensive firewood category? Iím beginning to wonder, now, how much of my aiming problems are because Iíve been practicing with a warped shaft! Thatíll certainly instill a bit of inconsistancy, eh?

Re: Predator warps!

That sucks about the shaft being warped.

[ QUOTE ]
    how much of my aiming problems are because Iíve been practicing with a warped shaft! Thatíll certainly instill a bit of inconsistancy, eh? <hr /></blockquote> Why do you practice with a shaft that you are not going to be using? Or is it just another cue you play with?

Have you contacted Predator just to see what they say?

eg8r

I have a 2 yr old 314. I've sanded it down to 12.5mm. I've steamed cloth cleaned it a hundred times. Waxed and used it to break with many times.
    It's still dead straight.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I care for my equipment properly. I do not leave it in a closed car in 100 degree weather or in freezing weather. I do not leave it in humid places, nor do I leave it standing against the wall nor do I leave it anywhere under any adverse conditions with any weird forces weighing against it. <hr /></blockquote>

What do you do? Keep it in a zero-gravity, temperature controlled dome?

hahahahahaha

Heide ~ had to get you back for the vette remark [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Got the old bannana shaft do you? Sympathy, sniff sniff, ok that's enough! [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I would call Pred, who knows they might replace it. There is nothing to say some of their wood might be a little green. Oh, I predict a 5% aiming improvement!
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

well, the bass will be spawning in a few weeks.

dan...mr. helpful.

I also would hit Predator with a call. The theory for laminated shafts and their pricy nature might just get you another in replacement. Don't give up until you try, and if they don't cough up a new one, "Come back and tell all of us." We all should know just how they stand on this issue..sid
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

Contact Shane S. at Clawson cues. They will replace shafts that warped due to poor wood quality. It sounds like you got a rare lemon!

I think that they might just be able to help you out.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Tony

I have used Predator shafts for several years and I have seen warped shafts. When I purchased a shaft for a Falcon about a year ago I rolled several shafts and and more than one was warped. They were going to send them back to Predator for replacement.

I know that Predator says not to steam clean them it will cause problems and void the warranty.

Later

Sorry to hear about the warping, did you know warping affects 1 out of 3 players a year, it is the leading cause of missed shots, by 2010 the number of warped cue in the world will increase by %10. Sorry SPetty [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Snipershot-not advertising, not being helpful either.