Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to Play One Pocket

How to Play One Pocket

Can someone tell me how to play one pocket or direct me to a good site about it. It's always sounded interesting, but I never got into it. Thanks.

Re: How to Play One Pocket

Great game to learn,and it will bring new shot to your game you never thought of. While on the subject, straight pool is most likely the best game to learn to cover all aspects of pool. Anyway, try any material from Grady Mathews, I feel He's a great teacher/speaker and you won't find many better 1-pocket players.....Gerry
    Play 14.1....enough said.

The best way to learn the game is to go to the PH and watch people that are good and ask questions. While you are watching think to yourself what shot you would make and then see what the better player does. In time, you will start to see the basic moves and strategy. The book, Upscale One Pocket, will help you with some basic shots and will show you some shot selections. This is just the tip of the iceberg. If you want to get good at it you need someone to teach you the game, helping you out with shot selection while you play. It takes time to identify the patterns and invent and test your solutions to the problems that come up. Play every chance you get against players that are better than you and practise your banks and CB control.

As far as sites with one pocket info, there aren't very many that I have found. Check the archives here for some one pocket tips and shot diagrams and I think the Joss site has a few tips on the game.
    AKA Anonamus Ed

Here's a link to site that talks a little about the break and bank shots.

http://www.cues.com/one-pocket.html One Pocket
    AKA Anonamus Ed

Just a little bit south and east of Hamiltucky a little bit west of the Atlantic Ocean

I know a guy that knows good one pocket and when he moves a little closer I'm going to learn to play. Don't tell him I said that though.

I believe one pocket can only be learned by watching and playing with better players and asking lots of questions. There are sooooo many little moves.

Kato
    Signature deleted by***********Kato

One Pocket=Chess

One pocket is probably the most difficult game to play that I know of.
    I personally compare it to Chess, for the ones that play chess will know what I am referring to, you position your balls strategically making sure you do not leave the other guy a shot and the cue ball barely moves a few inches at a time and when everything is ready, you get a good out ball or the other person makes amistake then you go for the kill and make 'em all and game is over.
    Sometimes it can take up to 1 hour per game or as little as 5 minutes depending on your contendor and skills.
    I have seen several excellent one pocket players, also tournaments with big guns playing on them, you learn by watching and then trying to recreate the shot, most of them long bank shots where you think there is no room for it.
    Books are OK but the best will be watching and then practicing.
    One good thing to learn though will be the brake, probably the most important part.

Good luck to you!!!

Boca Raton <God's Waiting Room>, Floriduh

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I know a guy that knows good one pocket and when he moves a little closer I'm going to learn to play. Don't tell him I said that though. Kato <hr /></blockquote>

WHO would that be?
    "Doesnt mean that much to me to mean that much to you"...Neil Young

learn to bank and play play play

Why play one pocket?? It has a very small following, and that is not the way to learn pool. Almost any other game will teach you better than it. Mosconi used to say one pocket is for losers, it's for the guys who could not run balls and were failures at straight pool, so they went to a gimmick game they could win at. The majority of the players of this game are gamblers, who play it as their only game, and most are very good at it, and very hard to beat. Most rooms have a gimmick pool table set up for them with double shimmed 4" pockets just to trap the outsider coming in. If your main ambition in life is to learn how to gamble &amp; hustle people for money, then by all means, take up the game. If your ambition is to learn how to play, then take lessons from a teaching professional, &amp; learn to play 8 ball, 9 ball, rotation, l4.1, and 3 cushion billiards. Once you get good at them, then look into one pocket. One pocket to me is about as exciting as watching paint dry. A single game can go on for hours. The best book on the subject was published in l993 by Eddie Robin of Las Vegas, when he gave me my copy he was living in Phoenix, I was in the area doing a exhibition. The book is 304 pages, beautiful burgandy red hardback cover with gold lettering on the front. The art work is great, and it features most of the shots that can come up, some of them are virtually trick shots. If you practiced this book, mastered or made all of the shots in there, you would then know most of the moves of the game. Robin drew his material from the greatest one pocket players of our time. This is truely one of the great books of our time, unfortunately, it is very hard to find. Robin was a great player, and a great writer, it is sad his book project fell apart, what he could have done for pool would have been staggering. Fast Larry wwwfastlarrypool.com

One-pocket is more than a gimmick game, IMO.

To play, you need to master at least one other form of pool first, cue ball control, banks and massÍ as well won't hurt you. It is more often lost than won, by that I mean mistakes and leaving a makeable shot for your opponent can cost you big. It takes good thinking and execution, such as being able to bank a ball close to your pocket, bump two balls away from your opponents pocket, and leave him safe all on the same shot. Due to the need to play into only one scoring pocket for you and defense against your opponent, 1P will have you shooting multi-rail bank shots as the "best shot" given the circumstances than any other pool game on a pocket billiards table than I know, and I play straight pool, 8, 9, 3cushion, banks, and snooker too.

All cue games are fun, but 1pocket played well will make your opponent stop and think, really really think, somewhat like chess. Are you ahead in the game? better move balls uptable away from the scoring end so if he gets loose he can't clean up easily, etc.

By all means get Eddie Robbin's "One Pocket," or "Shots, moves strategies" books. Any tape by Grady Mathews is educational. Jack Koehler has a book "Upscale One-Pocket"
    Accustats has some great tapes with commentary from Bill Incardona, Grady, etc. Hang out and watch, get a friend who is also interested, try it out yourself. Play better players cheeeply just to learn.

One pocket is the great game, the ultimate in pocket billiards because it uses every aspect of the game from shotmaking, position, banking, kisses, combinations, clusters, spin, massÍ, kicking, jumps, and above all, cue ball control and safety play. Sure there are some gimmick shots, perfectly legal uses of billiard knowledge, many of which are also useful in trick shots. As a game, you need to consider weigh and balance competing concerns such as risk/reward offense/safety much more than any other game before you choose the "best option". If your brain doesn't heat up 2 degrees doing this head work, you aren't playing the full game, IMO. Yes a good gambling game, but as a pool game I play it for free because it is richer than most other games in shots, moves, and strategies.