Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use of a dollar bill?

Use of a dollar bill?

It was brought to my attention the other night that if you take a dollar bill and vigorously rub it on your shaft, your shaft will become slick. Anybody ever try this? Is this detrimental to the wood of the shaft?

Re: Use of a dollar bill?

Hi captain,

I have no reason to doubt it. I would suspect a new dollar bill is rougher than many of the slicker papers that many people use.

I would caution, however, that you might end up transferring the ink from the dollar to the wood. I used a new dollar once time to burnish a tip for a friend, and discolored the ferrule with the ink from the dollar. I felt real bad about that. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote captain:</font><hr> It was brought to my attention the other night that if you take a dollar bill and vigorously rub it on your shaft, your shaft will become slick. Anybody ever try this? Is this detrimental to the wood of the shaft? <hr /></blockquote>

You can get the same effect if use ordinary kraft paper like in paper grocery bags, or a leather cue slicker. The process is called burnishing, and it works best if you get the shaft good and hot from all the polishing.

If your shaft is very dirty, clean it first, and fix any dings with a little steam. Afterwards you can use some burnishing strips like Q-Smooth, and then proceed to the final burnishing.

Fats
    SF

Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake.-- Tartakower

I was told by a Cue Maker that a brown paper grocery bag is about the same as 1000 grit sandpaper. For that reason, I prefer a piece of natural leather. Also, as SPetty said, ink from currency can transfer to the shaft.

Troy
    <blockquote><font class="small">Quote captain:</font><hr> It was brought to my attention the other night that if you take a dollar bill and vigorously rub it on your shaft, your shaft will become slick. Anybody ever try this? Is this detrimental to the wood of the shaft? <hr /></blockquote>
    <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr>
    You can get the same effect if use ordinary kraft paper like in paper grocery bags, or a leather cue slicker. The process is called burnishing, and it works best if you get the shaft good and hot from all the polishing.

If your shaft is very dirty, clean it first, and fix any dings with a little steam. Afterwards you can use some burnishing strips like Q-Smooth, and then proceed to the final burnishing.

Fats <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Troy,
    If a grocery bag was about the same as 1000 then a lot of people have been wasting their money on sandpaper including me. I wish it was, those sheets are expensive. Many times I use the back side of fine grit for burnishing.
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

Troy,

I think he was pulling your leg. 1000 grit is not all that smooth, and it generates a noticeable amount of dust from all the wood removed. No way to get that with a grocery sack.

I final-sand with 9-micron sandpaper made by dupont for polishing glass. It's basically equivalent to a 2800 grit on plastic backing, and you can still see a little bit of fine dust on it with an eye loupe.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> I was told by a Cue Maker that a brown paper grocery bag is about the same as 1000 grit sandpaper. For that reason, I prefer a piece of natural leather. Also, as SPetty said, ink from currency can transfer to the shaft.

Troy
    <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr>

Fats <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>
    "If it's yellow and smells bad, it must be nine-ball. Or a diaper (or a Frenchman)."

Maybe he was pulling my led as Spidey suggested... [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    By the way, I save used 600 &amp; 1000 grit and use it for burnishing. It works fairly well with little or no dust residue.

Trot
    <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Hi Troy,
    If a grocery bag was about the same as 1000 then a lot of people have been wasting their money on sandpaper including me. I wish it was, those sheets are expensive. Many times I use the back side of fine grit for burnishing. <hr /></blockquote>

Are there any other common household burnishers that don't get ink on or sand your shaft, besides leather?

I've used the cover from a book of matches. Also used waxed paper.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 ball junior:</font><hr> Are there any other common household burnishers that don't get ink on or sand your shaft, besides leather? <hr /></blockquote>

The back of a business card works well.