Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: aiming method--for the newbies

aiming method--for the newbies

"travelerdl2" showed this to me, and I thought it was worth graphic support.

I'm sure it's not a big secret, but i had never realized that this is what 'those guys' were doing, when putting their cues on the table--just never thought through it. . . .

BTW, if anyone has any suggestions or corrections, PM me.

http://heater451.tripod.com/crutch.htm

==================
    You are what you do when it counts.--The Masao
    heater<span style="color: red">451</span>

Re: aiming method--for the newbies

So how do you measure or determine the 1 1/8" distance when you pull the cue back?

A guy showed me something similar once. It works if your ferrule is exactly 1 1/8" long.

I have a friend who does this on EVERY shot.
    Drives me nuts. I don't see pros do it, so I don't think it's worth the trouble. I say find the contact point and hit it. Finding the contact point and staring at it intently promotes staying down too. My friend jumps a lot. He thinks because he knows where to aim (he points to the cloth where the center of the ghost ball should be), pocketing is automatic. He has a GC at home AND at his office. Practices daily. He's still not getting better.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I have a friend who does this on EVERY shot.
    Drives me nuts.

<font color="blue">That would drive me nuts too. </font color>

I don't see pros do it, so I don't think it's worth the trouble.

<font color="blue">I have a tape of Johnny Archer from 2001 Accu-stats 8-ball Invitational and he was doing this on many shots. I would watch it again and see how often he does it but I don't think I could take it again [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] </font color>

I say find the contact point and hit it. Finding the contact point and staring at it intently promotes staying down too. My friend jumps a lot. He thinks because he knows where to aim (he points to the cloth where the center of the ghost ball should be), pocketing is automatic. He has a GC at home AND at his office. Practices daily. He's still not getting better. <hr /></blockquote>

Wally, kinda funny but Archer's game has gone down since he started doing that crap. He used to bend over and peek at the ball/contact point in line to the pocket.

Everybody knows where to aim, even someone who never played the game could tell you where you have to hit the ball to make it. Aiming systems have some value in training the player to play instinctively, but none in actual play. They are only for training. Once a player starts trying to relay on a system, their game will stop improving. It hampers the player from gaining the confidence they need to let it happen, and just play. I never knew a good player that walked around doing all that stuff, they just play. There are no secrets waiting out there that nobody is telling, just good practice methods.

"I have a tape of Johnny Archer from 2001 Accu-stats 8-ball Invitational and he was doing this on many shots. I would watch it again and see how often he does it but I don't think I could take it again "

I would say he was doing it more due to nervousness then anything else. He may have been second guessing himself. He does not play like that, it was just something he was doing. Maybe to slow down his pace a little, but not because he needed it to increase the chances on making the ball. When I am a little nervous, I may find myself walking around looking at the shot from different angles. It is just because I am not ready to shoot and you need something to do, you can't just stand there staring at the shot. Sometimes you get a drink or chalk up, you just aren't ready.

Thanks Heater! I happened to pull up your site a couple of weeks ago and saw your aimming method. I had been having some good nights and some bad ones when it came to seeing the line. I tried your deal just to varify the line and I really like it. My game has gone to the next level, thanks to you. The Candyman.

Re: figuring the distance

I would just eyeball it (if I used the method), thinking that it's supposed to be half the diameter of the ball size.--I know this makes it almost the same as just "knowing" where to hit, but remember, I posted it as a training aid for those who are new(er) to the game.

Also, if you've seen the "Margin of Error" bit on the site, you should realize that there's a bit of forgiveness built into every shot, so the measurement can be close, without having to be exact.

. . .I didn't even think about the correct size of tip/ferrule being another aid. That may be a help to some as well.

====================

glad that it works for you. . .

. . .and thank you, for the kind words.

When travelerdl2 (Mark) and I met for the first time, we actually talked about a few different aiming styles.

I actually think the "equal-distance" method is the most flexible (without requiring using the cue as a 'crutch'), but it's personally harder for me to see. I actually use a lot of 'guestimates' in some of my shots, relying on what feels 'right', especially on the "Hail-Marys".

Usually, the only time I think "technical", is when a bank shot lies on a perfect-diamond line.

Anyway, sytems will only get you part of the way, you still have to have good stroke mechanics--and speed control is a big plus. . . .I also believe that a seasoned player may be able to use an aiming system as a 'check', or to remove a variable from their routine, if they are 'off'. That is, if you can eliminate aiming from the equation, then it makes it easier to focus on your mechanics. (I know, some will still say that the system may not be effective enough, even for that, but I'm posting my opinion here. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Now, if someone could inform me of a method of how to improve my **luck**, I might get good at this game. . . .

=================