Thread: FLORIDA 1-POCKET

FLORIDA 1-POCKET

Lifted from another site (www.playpool.com) posted by Smorgass Bored ---

" In an effort to further one-pocket in the Tampa area, I am going to have monthly one day one-pocket tournaments for B-C class players starting Sunday March 2. If all goes well, I will also be having monthly one day tournaments open to local players of Buddy Hall, Ray Martin, Richie Richeson, Tony Crosby, Richard Broumpton, etc.s level and any other 'A's or Pros in the area."

Troy...~~~ Just trying to help..... [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: FLORIDA 1-POCKET

Man, I wish I was still in Orlando. Not that I would play, lol. If they have the A tournament, I would like to go see it. I loved watching Richie Rich play 1p.

eg8r

hmmm,I'm only a couple of hours away from there. I wonder how they rank players?.....anyone know?.....Gerry
    Play 14.1....enough said.

Smorg uses the common A-D system. If you aren't familiar with it I doubt very much that you are an A. If you have played a while, can run a few balls and try to get shape you are a C. The best women are about an A level and some might argue that a few are a little better. Corr is beaten often by A players on the Joss tour but she seems to have improved to the point that they don't give her too much trouble any more. The last time I saw Rodney Morris play on the Joss he was knocked out on the first day by a couple of A players. An A player will miss a bit more often than a pro and will usually lose because of that. If he gets lucky he can beat a pro.
    KenCT

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr> Smorg uses the common A-D system. If you aren't familiar with it I doubt very much that you are an A. If you have played a while, can run a few balls and try to get shape you are a C. The best women are about an A level and some might argue that a few are a little better. Corr is beaten often by A players on the Joss tour but she seems to have improved to the point that they don't give her too much trouble any more. The last time I saw Rodney Morris play on the Joss he was knocked out on the first day by a couple of A players. An A player will miss a bit more often than a pro and will usually lose because of that. If he gets lucky he can beat a pro.
    KenCT <hr /></blockquote>

You sure about that Ken? I can run a few (3) balls and TRY (often unsuccessfully [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]) to get shape and I think I am a D- [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

blu

Smorg uses the common A-D system. If you aren't familiar with it I doubt very much that you are an A.

Hi Ken,
    I'm not sure how being familiar with a rating system has any relivance on how I play, but that makes no difference. The problem I'm having is, I just moved to Florida and I'd like to play in the tourny in the post I refered to and it's 2 hours away. I don't really feel like driving 2 hours then find out I can't play because nobody knows me, or there is no way to judge my speed. I've played in handicapped events back home, but people there knew my speed. I would'nt want to go to a non-A event and win it being an unknown player in an area I just moved to, and get labeled road agent, laying down, on the slide or whatever. See where I'm coming from?. I guess it's Smorgs tourny/room? if so, maybe we can figure this out before the tourny starts.... Thanx...Gerry
    Play 14.1....enough said.

I just find it hard to believe that someone would play at an A level without having encountered one of the most common rating systemns. I'll admit it is possible, however, it's not very probable.

I take it that is not the problem and you have already determined that you are not an A and are concerned only about being shut out of the tournament. Then I suggest you call the numbers listed at Playpool.com: "if anyone reading this is interested in playing in Planet 9-Ball's upcoming tournaments, call 813-818-7665 or 813-891-1450 for details &amp; dates". I know the first number is Planet 9-ball. Call in the evening and ask for Doug who usually is there. Just tell him how you have been playing and he will probably decide depending on what you tell him.

It's possible that the C and B players will play even. If not and you have been doing well in tournaments he might want to put you in as a B.

I would avoid Thursday since he has a nine ball tournament there on Thursdays. It's a $10 entry but can run late so playing in it is probably not practical for you with a 2 hour drive to deal with. He generally takes a person's word about his playing speed but if an A played as a C the handicap is not such an advantage that he would be likely to win in the nine ball tournaments.
    KenCT

Smorgass posted this at
    http://www.playpool.com/webbbs/index.cgi?read=18672
    to answer some questions asked here.