Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "lions and the lambs" question for Fast Larry

"lions and the lambs" question for Fast Larry

[img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]Have you ever seen this book? There is a player from around my area named Sonny Springer listed in the book he doesn’t play any more due to health and age restraints. I would like to find a copy for one of Sonny’s students, does anyone know where I can find one? I would also like to hear stories about Sonny if anyone knows any. Thanks [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: "lions and the lambs" question for Fast Larry

Dear Sir, it would have helped to know where you are from, I am sorry, I don't know the player, nor have I heard of the book. I have tried to build an extensive library over the years, I use it as reference material, and I cant tell you how much I have learned from them. I have picked up a lot of old books from England from the 20's, they have no value here, they are cheap, and they are filled with gems of knowledge. Bob Byrne has been very generous with me over the years, sending me copies of many rare things only he has. Mike Shamos has been another source for me. I try to snag every book that comes along, most are disappointing
    some are OK, and now & then you score something that has no value. There was a little book out several years ago, I bought for $6.00, it had about 30 pages, everyone overlooked it, or never read it, and it is the most valuable piece of information I have ever had, it is now the center of my cue ball position teaching, and I tightly guard the secret. I think you can learn a lot from reading the right books, and watching the right video tapes, on instruction & on match play. There is no substitute for working with a good teaching pro, who works with a camera. Every player should have his basics filmed, and analyzed by a good teacher. Bad basics, you'll never be good. Good basics, you will always be a winner. Regards, Fast Larry

I am from Mississippi. The book listed players across the US as Lions or Lambs. Sonny was listed as a lion he played in Johnson city in I beleave the 50s(I was just guessing about the year). He was a one pocket player. I used to hear stories about him playing Fats. Thanks anyway.

Dear Carlton, I am not questing if he played in Johnson City or not. I have proof I was there, Billiards Digest put a picture of the event on their cover & there I am in the stands just above Boston Shorty playing Lassiter one pocket. That's where I spent most of my time in the stands. Every year I would go there, get my clock cleaned fast in the back room, then just watch. Those guys were too good for me then, I could not beat any of them, they were all killers. I lived only one state away, so every year it was a yearly pilgrimage to the church of the good hustler. I wish somebody would have told me at the time that I was seeing the greatest players & the greatest event of all time. If I had know that, I would have paid more attention to what was going on. I assumed this would go on forever & just keep getting better, little did I know, this was a high water mark in the game. Please sir, I am not trying to correct you, allow me to give you some history, the event did not take place in the 50's, the first event was in 6l, l3 people showed up. It did not get rolling real strong until 63, it's best time was probably 67, once the fed pulled the raid, it was all down hill from there.
    Best Wishes, Fast Larry

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> There was a little book out several years ago, I bought for $6.00, it had about 30 pages, everyone overlooked it, or never read it, and it is the most valuable piece of information I have ever had, it is now the center of my cue ball position teaching, and I tightly guard the secret. <hr /></blockquote>Hi Larry,

So if I'm understanding you here, there's a publicly published book that you bought that you think is a very good book that could help us immensely, but you won't tell any of us the name or author of the book?

Even if I ask nice?

Please, Larry, share the name and author of the book you found so helpful. Thank you.

Where in Mississippi?

Carlton,

When I'm visiting north Mississippi I go to High Pockets or The Rack in Memphis, or The Rec in Southaven. I used to go to Purvis's in Oxford, but it's been gone for a couple of years now. Or are you further south?

SpiderMan
    "If it's yellow and smells bad, it must be nine-ball. Or a diaper (or a Frenchman)."

Dear Sir, please try &amp; understand this, I said this is a closely guarded secret. If that is the case, why would I post it on the world wide web for free. I dont mind giving out free advise on the game. If I give it all up, then these other guys will become as good as me, &amp; right now I have the edge &amp; I am keeping it. Will I give it up, yes, soon I will produce a CD that reveals &amp; teaches the entire system, that may be a year off, because I have 3 other CD's planned in front of it, how to draw, how to follow, how to break. It is for sale, for a resonable price, soon you will be able to buy it for $l9 bucks. Now, the student does not get it until he is at least into his 6th lesson with me, or he books a all day 7 hr session for $300. Look, I am not trying to sell my stuff here, buy you asked, and that unfortunately is the answer. You must try &amp; understand my position I am in, I am sorry, did not mean to tease you, I wont do that again, I apologize. Best Wishes, Fast Larry

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> please try &amp; understand this, I said this is a closely guarded secret. <hr /></blockquote>Oh, I thought you said you bought a book. <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr>If that is the case, why would I post it on the world wide web for free.<hr /></blockquote>In order to help your fellow pool player. That's really what this board is all about. <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr>I dont mind giving out free advise on the game. <hr /></blockquote>Yes, I can see that. It's why I asked if you could tell us the name/author of the book that you bought that helped you so much. <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr>...how to draw, how to follow, how to break. <hr /></blockquote>Um, hit it low, hit it high, hit it hard... [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] hahaha <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry, the teaser:</font><hr>I am sorry, did not mean to tease you, I wont do that again, I apologize.<hr /></blockquote>Okey Dokey. You can make up for it by sharing the name of that book! (Just thought I'd try one more time... [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

From his description, I would guess it is "Position play for high runs" by Johnny Holiday

Popcorn, yes I too think that was the book he was referring to. And it is by the way a great book!