Thread: Heinz 57 tips.......

Heinz 57 tips.......

Any reports from users of the "heinz 57 tips", a layered tip cut down with something else on top?
    I tried it this week and I was amazed for the first three days of use. I've been using layered tips (Instroke, Hercules), for the past three years and have not found one that kept its playing consistent for more than 4-6 weeks, glazing over, not holding chalk. I was about ready to go back to Triangles when I saw Spiderman's post about the "heinz 57". I cut my Hercules down to about 4-5 mm in height and took a used Elkmaster (already played into shape
    but removed for a customer) and put that on top.
    I went to hit balls with it(9 foot tables), and it felt a little softer, but I had no aiming adjustment period that I thought that I would have. After a few minutes, I played the ghost to 7 and lost HH (my break wasn't getting the table spread) Then a local kid came in jawing at me cause the ghost beat me....and I've been playing him some lately to help him along. He got the 7-8 wild for a 7-1 loss, the 6-7-8 wild for a 7-2 loss, and then we tried the 5 out, but I blew a gasket....the kid can play if you give him room. In Valley league the next night I ran out the first four times to the table and won the last one after a safety battle.
    I'm looking for some feedback from any users of this set-up. I'm hoping this wasn't just in my head, but an actual improvement in tip performance. Anybody?
    A day without pool is a wasted day......

Re: Heinz 57 tips.......

Dafatman,

I doubt there are many users out there to report. Few people are curious enough to go to so much trouble when there are already lots of good tips available. I guess I'm just a mad scientist at heart.

The first gradient tip I built was a bottom third hard WB break tip with a top 2/3 of Triangle. First time I hit a few balls I thought it was too soft, so I recrowned it until it was about 0.100" shorter. After that, it really played great. All the chalk-holding and of the triangle, but a little livelier. Sort of like a triangle gets when it's about half worn down and compacted.

I only played with that for a couple of weeks because I wanted to try another experiment. I cut off the top section of Triangle and put on a layered Talisman Pro Med. As you may be aware of from discussions on here, the Talismans have some problems with layer breakdown in the second or third layer from the bottom. My goal here was to see if I could move the area normally damaged into the lower section of break tip, which is sturdy enough to not delaminate. After about 8 fairly lengthy sessions of play, it's still hanging in there. So far, my impression is that if you like the feel and play of a layered Talisman, putting 2/3 of one on top of 1/3 of a break tip is a good way to prolong the life.

I don't know how long I'll leave the Talisman on my play cue, as it has a bit too much chatter for my taste. I'll probably go back to the Triangle topper before too long.

SpiderMan
    "If it's yellow and smells bad, it must be nine-ball. Or a diaper (or a Frenchman)."

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I don't know how long I'll leave the Talisman on my play cue, as it has a bit too much chatter for my taste. <hr /></blockquote>What is chatter?

"Chatter"

Probably not an official billiard term. It's just how I describe the feedback and/or sound when you don't completely miscue, but you're sure the tip almost slipped off the ball. Like you know from the sound or vibration that if you were just a tad further out you would have miscued.

Sort of like when you're riding a motorcycle and hit a sandy patch in a curve, lose traction just a little bit, but don't actually spin out. When I get a little chatter I'm thankful I didn't miscue, and I pay more attention to my chalking.

SpiderMan
    "If it's yellow and smells bad, it must be nine-ball. Or a diaper (or a Frenchman)."

I think the idea has some merit. I haven't used a softer tip as yet for the crown but I'm getting ready to shortly. I have three Match tips that may hold chalk as well as any on the market. I compressed them and will use one in the near future. The idea I like is you never have to cut back near the ferrule.

Rod
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

Hey Dafatman,
    as you know i tryed a different method of the heinz 57 tip idea, about 3 and a half layers of Fiber backing + a medium hercules on top and as you said, it hit kinda spongey, but on a heavy cue ball it hit fine (weird huh), and not to mention it hit harder than a regular medium hercules. Right now i am using a stingray tip and it hits too soft also and had a problem with it mushrooming on top whilst breaking with a heavy cueball (but it wasn't spongy ((so it's not the secret ferrule lol))), I'll most likely go back to an instroke hard (i've never had any problems with it yet, maybe it's just you lol), but i'll try some other tips out some time in the near future, any suggestions? and i might come over for a lesson or two but i'll probably end up trying to tell you what to tell me. Keep in mind that i am highly over educated for my skill level.

Thanks

Jon [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Go buy a 40 cent triangle tip, they are not spongy &amp; they perform as well as any tip on the market. I know this is hard to believe, but believe it, or go blow $30 bucks for a jap tip that will basically play the same as the triangle. Fast Larry

amen to that.