Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Minnesotta Fats vs. Fast Larry *DELETED*

Minnesotta Fats vs. Fast Larry *DELETED*

Post deleted by Fran Crimi

Re: Minnesotta Fats vs. Fast Larry

But he does know how to chalk properly. That has to count for something.

And he also has a <font color="red">secret </font color>book.....

Fran,
    I laughed out loud at how Fats would have described playing someone like Fast Larry. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    I used to have great conversations with Larry when I worked with J.L. at BCA.I do not know if Larry was ever afforded the BCA Master Level Instructor Title.I can only say I was not,and rightfully so,because I did not meet the strict criteria for this level of instructor.
    Self promotion is one thing,aggrandaizing is another.I have no bone to pick with Larry or anyone else.Larry has been around pool for a very long time and has had success in some areas.It is not what we have done,but what we do each day to benefit pool in a positive way.I have recommended BCA Instructors to dozens of people of every skill level,and if Larry does promote himself as such without the proper credentials,he does a disservice to himself,the BCA,and the sport.
    I am happy he has appeared on TV many times in the past years.Perhaps that can be parlayed into a viable opportunity for the sport.
    Re:Fats,although I always called him Rudy,was without question all of the things said about him,but his participation with legendary gamers is beyond reproach.
    I don't know who Larry has played over his career and what venues,perhaps he could shed some light for us.
    Fran,I have the deepest admiration for your skills and talents.You are one of the reasons I joined the ccb,along with Scott Lee.Thank You for being here.

The Bayou Banger,
    c [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]ajunfats
    No Relation to the Orginal [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Fast Larry, on the other hand, makes up credentials. Says he's a BCA Master Instructor. They never heard of the guy over at the BCA Instructor Program Dept.
    <hr /></blockquote> Uh Oh...someones been fibbin. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

eg8r

My favorite Fats story began when he gave Joe Canton and I, three free days of exhibitions around 1970 at the Albany Golden Cue. I love to say he gave us 27 hours of entertainment. He talked for all that time and never told the same lie twice. You knew the stories were fabricated but how could one person continue talking and never tell a story over. A truly amazing feat. Up until that point I thought Fatty was an imposter but after his three days of wrapping the audience around his little finger I had the utmost respect for his ability to charm an audience and promote the game of pool. He was playing kids for a dollar a game and stamp the dollar with "Won from Minnesota Fats" ####

well it will be interesting to see how this progresses....

I guess "its in the way that you use it"

The plot thickens. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

blu

I met Fats several times and really liked him. I will only tell one Fats story and I think it tell you a lot about him. I was going to put on a charity event for a sick kid. I arranged to have a ballroom in a nice hotel Free, A table installed, Free and I contacted several well known top players and offered them expenses to come play some challenge matches and sign autographs and do some trick shots. We were going to provide a small dinner as well as the show for the donation. It would have been a nice night. I got no takers among the pros with not even an excuse. Miz wanted $3000. to come. Only Fats offered to come and declined any expense money. The thing never happened, but my opinion about Fats was forever changed as was my opinion about a lot of the so called pros.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Fast Larry, on the other hand, makes up credentials. Says he's a BCA Master Instructor. They never heard of the guy over at the BCA Instructor Program Dept.

That's not the sign of a character of the game. That's the sign of someone who's trying to pull something over on people. <hr /></blockquote>*sigh*

Well, well, well. This little discovery has just shocked me to my very core. Color me surprised...

And to think I was beginning to 2nd guess myself and feel bad about being so hard on Larry the other day when he finally "got my goat." It's hard to respect someone, or their accomplishments, when they throw it in your face in every message. No, not just throw, more like grind them in. And now we have to wonder how many other "accomplishments," like this one, are for real.

Thanks for the detective work, Fran. I'm curious to see how Larry explains this one away. Maybe we all misunderstood him, and he will make everything right and restore my faith in him. Yeah.

I know a lot of you, maybe most of you, want Larry to stick around. That he provides some "color" to the forums. That despite his character, he's an accomplished expert and a source of useful advice. Maybe so. But the only color I see is <font color="red">RED</font color> when he posts. Heck, I can't even bring myself to read his latest diatribes -- the first few sentences are enough to make me think "more of the same." While I've played pool for 25 years, I've only been here on CCB for a relatively short while, but I have read and posted almost every single day since I've been here. I feel like I "know" a lot of you by now, and respect every single person and opinion on this board. I value the advice and guidance of those more experienced and skilled than I, and I enjoy passing on advice to those less so, and I have never posted out of anger or frustration at anyone else. Until Larry came along. With the likes of Fran and Scott and Popcorn and Tom_In_Cincy and Spiderman, et. al. in residence here, I really don't need Larry. I for one can live without him, and will be bypassing any future posts by him.

Enough said.

David

formerly Bozeman, MT; now living in Battle Creek, MI

Dick...In 1975, I watched Fatty do an exhibition at Dave Cook Sporting Goods, in Denver, CO. For three hours, he HELD the cue, but NEVER hit one ball! LMAO He told stories for the whole time, and had us all cracking up! LOL Just goes to show ya, he was "world class" when it came to talking. Also, a world champion eater...god that guy could pack it away! LOL

Scott Lee