Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: About Fast Larry

About Fast Larry

Now that I know who Fast Larry is, I'd like to share what I know about him.

I have to say that I honestly don't know anyone who loves the game more than Larry does. He can give me the 6 and the breaks when it comes to enthusiasm for the game.

Yep. He's the real deal. I only wish I could do half the things on a pool table that he can and he's forever inventing new shots. How many of us actually "invent" shots?

The thing that always struck me about Larry every time I ran into him was his enthusiasm. I never viewed that as ego, but rather a person set on pushing himself to the limits to see what he can achieve, and when he achieves it, being proud of his accomplishment.

Yes, that little book he mentioned is real. He showed it to me once and I mentioned that I really wanted one. He was kind enough to let me have an extra copy. I'm not going to talk about it. That's for Larry to do if he wants to. I will say one thing. It's really good.

I don't know about his World Records but if he says it's so, I would believe him because I have no reason not to.

I'm sure those of you who visit with him in Valley Forge will really enjoy his show.

I think Larry's a really nice guy but I'm pissed as all hell that he never introduced me to Wonder Dog. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Fran

Re: About Fast Larry

Dear Fran, that was very sweet. Max just goes nuts over the ladies, he just loves women. Tell you what Imma gonna do, so you don't miss him this time. You tell me when you are done playing and have some free time, even if it's after the show closes, Max will give you private show, or I'll try to get him to. He is really weird, he will only do 3 shows a day, don't ask me why. If I make him do a 4th, he just stands there, looks at me, then lays down & goes to sleep. He is really lazy. I designed him, his momma was a small German Shepherd, 3rd smartest dogs are shepherds and she was a 35 time in a row champion frisbee chatcher at contests. An amazing dog. I then put together the Daddie, by producing a half bloodhound & half great dane, am I nuts or what? Nothing is sweater or more gentle than these two dogs, I cant take the chance of having the dog getting aggressive. Mess with me, I'll bite you, Max will never bite no matter what you do to him. I also wanted a dog to sleep a lot, so he would go under the table & leave me alone for 2 hrs, he could not be hyper. It all worked perfectly, I got what I designed, the only thing I did not plan on was he's l35 lbs, he's a little bigger than I wanted, especially when Jake Wonder Dog I was only 70 lbs. Wonder Dog III is 45, Bubba Wonder Dog four is l7 lbs, so I am going down in size, sorry about the Bull S*** dog, I know that was a bad joke, but it gets a laugh in bars, what can I tell you. If you want Max to do a private show, you are going to have to bring a couple of hot dogs to bribe him & wake him up. He will stand on his head for a hot dog, which is what I pay him, don't tell him he is getting the shaft out of this deal, then he will demand a T Bone, now I am getting him to work cheap. I'll also give you a couple of my tapes that will show a lot of the things & shots I claim, the tapes were put together for the sole reason to prove what I said I did, I never intended to sell them, I don't want to, I don't even advertise them, and I've sold 5000 of them. My plans are to some day soon, clean it all up & produce some really nice tapes & CD's, something I will then be proud to put my name on. Now I have great shots, and a less than professional tape put together. What will you see MAX do, is run a rack of 8 ball with his nose & paws in l2 seconds flat & I call every pocket for him in advance. He will perform actual trick shots, he can do about a third of the Paul Gerni show, but there he will do the Chatanooga choo choo railroad shot making the l-2-3-4 balls in the side pocket in rotation. He does the world class bottle shot with his nose. He answers a telephone when it rings & talks to his girlfriend.
    He does 35 tricks, but I try to keep his show short, about l5-20 minutes. His best trick is he sings, reads, writes & talks, something half of the pool players in America cant do in a bar after midnight. Is this a little hard to believe, of course, but if it is not true, then how did he get into the Ripleys column, & on the premier of the show, or invited to star on the premier of the new show Pet star on animal planet, he actually went out to hollywood & played pool for 25 grand, I know a lot of pro's who have never played for that kind of loot. Is he for real, is the pope Catholic? Come see him, I am not writing a check with my mouth that big boy can't cash. A lot of the old grizzly gambler pool hall types dont like the dog act. We need to do a lot of things to bring some life & some fun back into this game. In pool, I have a audience of maybe 2 to 3 million people, in trick shots, maybe 50,000. Dog owners, 56 million, you figger it out, you do the math. The pool hall gamblers are not my market. What the Dog does, is brings families into the game & to my show, and that does nothing but help every single one of you.
    Your Friend & admirer, Fast Larry Guninger & Wonder Dog, do I have to keep writing aka Grindinger or what. Can you believe that deal, it was like a lynching was going to take place, ah yes indeed, reminds me of the time I was going through Mississippi with Harry Da Horse & Jake the Snake, we were on a road trip you see.......Ah yes.....

Ok, now you guys are getting just a tad bit mushy on me! [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Wendy<---a sucker for mushiness... [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
    I Shoot Like A Girl.
    Damn Good.
    Ah f*&%it!

Fast Larry sure has made a quick impact on this forum!

the problem with the internet is that things can come accross incorrectly because there is no tone of voice, body language or anything else, so it's just the words

Larry mate, be assured that we are gonna not only make you welcome but squeeze every drop of knowledge dry from you [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Yo big bro, what you said is so true, Fran Crimi said it best, if Minnesota Fats came on the board today & said what he said in pool halls, every one would go nuts, but you listen to him in a pool hall, it was no problem. You see a person, you can read them. When you read email, you dont have a clue, how do you know I even wrote any of these, maybe it was Wonder Dog, I mean how are you going to know, if he can play pool, maybe he can type too. Gee I wish they would make these keyboards bigger for my paw.....

Hi Fran,

I'm glad you like this guy. You're obviously a better person than I am. I normally don't enter these frays, but I thought you might care what I think... (hahaha, silly me...)

It's very difficult for me to "listen" to someone's writing if I have to know them personally in order to understand them. People who actually write stuff for other people to read should really take just a tiny bit of care to try to ensure they don't come across like a jackass, don't you think?

I'm sorry I won't be able to join this lovefest immediately - it will probably take me a little more time to get over a few things this man has posted:

For me, of course, it started here when he responded to a post about my warped Predator shaft...<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Larry the Arrogant:</font><hr>02/15/03 02:41 AM
    99% of warped shafts are caused by customer neglect, you leaned the cue up against the wall while playing for 2 years &amp; now wonder why it goes blop blop when you roll it over. Now you want the mfgr to replace something you ruined. Toss it in the trash, go buy a new one, this time, take proper care of it, and dont ever lean it against the wall again. <hr /></blockquote>And then there's this:<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Larry the Know-It-All:</font><hr>02/16/03 09:00 PM
    Focus on this, you guys cant teach me nothing, but I can teach you guys a ton of stuff, I can show you some new neat shots, we can have some fun together, but you have to let all that other stuff ride, just let it ride, it is not worth fighting over, because very soon, I will be gone &amp; then soon forgotten.<hr /></blockquote>So this man has nothing to learn! My personal credo finds that a bit arrogant and obnoxious. Isn't there something good in learning all your life? And, although his words say he can teach us stuff, he doesnít seem to be very willing to share what he knows. Witness:<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Larry the Tease:</font><hr>02/16/03 05:25 PM
    There was a little book out several years ago, I bought for $6.00, it had about 30 pages, everyone overlooked it, or never read it, and it is the most valuable piece of information I have ever had, it is now the center of my cue ball position teaching, and I tightly guard the secret.<hr /></blockquote>

Even you, Fran, are jumping on this book bandwagon with "Yes, that little book he mentioned is real. He showed it to me once and I mentioned that I really wanted one. He was kind enough to let me have an extra copy. I'm not going to talk about it. That's for Larry to do if he wants to. I will say one thing. It's really good."

From what Iíve seen on this board, we normally share information about good books and videos. A few years ago, Larry bought a book that he likes very much. You, too, like this book very much. Larry also professes to being able to teach us guys a ton of stuff. Now, instead of helping the original author of the book make a buck or two from this well-read pool playing community of ours, he (and now admittedly you) hoards this information like it's the ultimate secret to making gasoline out of water, thereby denying the original author his properly deserved recognition and reward! Just kind of rubs me the wrong way...

Anyway, I've already welcomed Larry to the board. Oh, and Larry, if you're reading this, if nothing else, please learn to use the "enter" key on your computer. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It looks something like this:

Press it twice in a row every now and then. It adds white space to your writing, making it a bit easier to read. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think many people at the very top of any field or sport tend to be what might be construed as a little excentric or aloof as a result of being so focused on what they do to reach that level of skill that they may have underdeveloped skills in any number of other areas not directly related to their main occupation, including interpersonal relations.

Often top players may be extreemly egotistical, self-centered, or very introverted as a result of, or perhaps it is almost as a neccessity to maintain the high level of focus that makes them one of the best at what they do. Perhaps there is just a fine line between genius and insanity.

=Tom

Regarding the mystery book, rumor had it that it was 'Position Play For Hi-Runs by Johnny Holiday (an excellect book by the way) but after taking another look at it I see that it has 114 pages and not 30 as was mentioned.

So the mystery continues, I hope this gets resolved I'm beginning to curious myself now!!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>And then there's this:<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Larry the Know-It-All:</font><hr>02/16/03 09:00 PM
    Focus on this, you guys cant teach me nothing, but I can teach you guys a ton of stuff, I can show you some new neat shots, we can have some fun together, but you have to let all that other stuff ride, just let it ride, it is not worth fighting over, because very soon, I will be gone &amp; then soon forgotten.<hr /></blockquote><hr /></blockquote>

Well, most people here know where I stand on this issue. Anyone coming on the board with the purpose to teach the group has the wrong attitude and deserves every bad reaction. In the same vein, anyone who walks into a new pool room and starts shouting out "you can't teach me, but I can teach you" isn't going to win any respect, but sure as hell will lose some. Not because it is or isn't true, but because it shows no class and shows a bit of ass.

IMO, everyone should come to this board to participate, share, and LEARN. If you think you're done learning, then you are truly all done.

Fred &lt;~~~ guarantees he can teach Larry something new, and guarantees he can learn something new from Larry
    <font color="blue">You cannot create experience. You must undergo it.</font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr>

Will FastLarry be the next to feel the insensitive, uncaring, heartless, unsympathetic, wrath of the CCB social grace police? Hmmmm. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

=Tom <hr /></blockquote>
    You're going to pin this one on the group?

Fred
    <font color="blue">You cannot create experience. You must undergo it.</font color>