Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can You Jump This?

Can You Jump This?

I was watching Karen Corr and Jeanette Lee this afternoon on ESPN. On the last rack, Jeanette tried slicing the 3 ball, missed it, but the 3 found the corner pocket at the other end of the table. Jeanette was left with something like this:

START(
    %DD4Q8%HD5L3%PD4G8%]E1D7%^D5G0

)END

My stupid question is, can you jump the 8 ball by sending the CB to the rail and then have it bounce back over the 8 to make contact with the 4? I mean forget about the possiblity of Karen Corr having a shot after this attempt but is it possible to jump in this manner?
    I Shoot Like A Girl.
    Damn Good.
    Ah f*&%it!

Re: Can You Jump This?

Yes it's possible, no it's not a good shot.

How you do it:

When you jump off a rail, if you use left or right english, it affects the cue ball just as if the cue wasn't jumping. So you shoot that shot with top left english and the cue will bounce back over towards the end rail.

Why it's a bad shot:

1) the angle that you are coming back is towards the end rail, allowing for the possibility of bouncing the cue off the table.

2) The 8 ball and 4 ball are too close together for accuracy. In order to make this, you would have to get enough height to clear the 8 ball and still land the cue in a 6 inch or so area.

3) it's hard enough controlling the cue ball on a normal jump, let alone something radical like this.

If you are going to jump here, use a standard jump rather than the rail, there are a lot less factors involved in the shot. Personally, I'd seriously consider a masse here (depending on the 5's location) and probably end up kicking off the side rail on the same side as the 4 on my way to a safety.

Jay

Hi Wendy,
    I just watched that match, seen it before. The c/b was to close to the end rail for that shot. The corner pocket was in the way unless she used the point. Yes similar shots can be made, I had this one on a hill game and drilled it.

START(
    %DE6R1%HF6H5%PG5F8%]E1D7%^D5G0

)END

She could have just jumped the ball but I guess she didn't like the shot.

Rod
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

Before I would do that, I might try this. It is not an offensive shot, but may buy you another inning. It would most likely not leave a shot. Just shoot with reverse english.

START(
    %DD4Q8%HD5L3%PD4G8%WD9S5%XE7Z8%]G9D1%^E0F9%_F4Z2%`G2S2%aH8C2

)END

Why can't I see the diagrams? All I see is the code.

Maybe you need to clean your glasses! LOL

Seriously go here, http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

Copy the code from here and paste it there. You'll see the little boxes to the lower right to paste or copy. Set up a shot copy it there, then paste it here if you have one to show.

Rod
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>

Personally, I wouldn't try that. I don't feel comfortable jumping off the rail when you can't shoot directly into it. Also, the other corner pocket is a cueball magnet(for me anyway [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

IMO, I like this:

START(
    %DD4Q8%HD5L3%PD4G8%WD5S4%Xc6[2%Ye7[3%Zr3W5%]q3W1%^D2G5%eB8`7

)END

From that Qball position, kick to "35" with a little running english. It seems to make the OB "bigger".

Eric

Hey you guys , please tell how to pull the shot when you give all these symbol with a (start and end) after it?

Thanks for helping me solve this mystery!

1) go to the link Rod gave you (Open it in another window)
    2) highlight everything from the start to the end
    3) press CTRL + C
    4) go to the other window and press the paste button and say OK when the two warnings pop up

HTH
    Jay M

Thanks all. It's definitely a radical shot and the reason I thought of it was because I remember I tried kicking at a ball once, hit the OB too hard which caused it to bounce off the rail, over the blocking OB, and hitting the intended OB. I wouldn't be able to accomplish something like that in a million tries I'm sure!

And for those that don't know how to use the Wei Table, http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboa...o=&amp;fpart=1
    I Shoot Like A Girl.
    Damn Good.
    Ah f*&%it!