Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Green?

Why Green?

Well the tenor of conversation has become a little heavy of late so I though I'd lighten it up a little bit.

My question is this: Why is the predominant color of billiard cloth green? I have reasons ranging from "it's the easiest on the eyes, to "it was chosen to simulate the color of grass" to "it was chosen to simulate the cash in your wallet!"

Anyone want to relax and have a little fun with this?

Re: Why Green?

I think its cause of the grass, im not sure but before billiards was played on a table it was played on a court yard. maybe thats the reason.
    i like it greel becuase its easier on the eyes. my local PH has gold cloth hurts my eyes after playing on green, i cant see long shots to well on it.

nAz 2012 GOP presidential candidate

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> I think its cause of the grass, im not sure but before billiards was played on a table it was played on a court yard. maybe thats the reason.<hr /></blockquote>
    I believe nAz is correct.

I agree about the easy on the eyes bit. Green is actually one of my least favorite colors, in general. Blue is my favorite color, but the wavelength of the blue light is notoriously hard on the eyes. So blue cloth was out for me when I bought my table, even though it looked beautiful. My wife (hey, I had to give in to her, she was the one who finally gave the okay to buy the table!) chose Wine colored Simonis. I guess it was the lighting in the shop, but I didn't realize from looking at the little bitty swatch that Wine Simonis looks more purple than red! So needless to say while waiting for the table I wasn't too happy about getting purple cloth, but I figured hey, at least I'm finally getting a table, I'll just have it recovered in a year. When they delivered the table, though, they screwed up and brought standard green Simonis. I went ahead and accepted it, and I'm glad I did, because the green looks great on my mahogany finished table -- it LOOKS like a pool table, and is easy on the eyes. I'll probably stick with green on my own tables from here on out.

David

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> My question is this: Why is the predominant color of billiard cloth green? I have reasons ranging from "it's the easiest on the eyes, to "it was chosen to simulate the color of grass" to "it was chosen to simulate the cash in your wallet!"<hr /></blockquote>
    It seems understandable that tradition has kept the table cloth predominantly green to simulate the color of grass. But, does this also explain why gaming tables in general are predominantly green? I wouldn't think so.

Maybe someone way back when had a lot of green cloth and sold it to the gaming public.

Fred &lt;~~~ should've bought stock in green dye

<font color="blue">You cannot create experience. You must undergo it.</font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> I agree about the easy on the eyes bit. Green is actually one of my least favorite colors, in general. Blue is my favorite color, but the wavelength of the blue light is notoriously hard on the eyes. So blue cloth was out for me when I bought my table, even though it looked beautiful. My wife (hey, I had to give in to her, she was the one who finally gave the okay to buy the table!) chose Wine colored Simonis. I guess it was the lighting in the shop, but I didn't realize from looking at the little bitty swatch that Wine Simonis looks more purple than red! So needless to say while waiting for the table I wasn't too happy about getting purple cloth, but I figured hey, at least I'm finally getting a table, I'll just have it recovered in a year. When they delivered the table, though, they screwed up and brought standard green Simonis. I went ahead and accepted it, and I'm glad I did, because the green looks great on my mahogany finished table -- it LOOKS like a pool table, and is easy on the eyes. I'll probably stick with green on my own tables from here on out.

David <hr /></blockquote>

only one question: how much did it cost you to get the set-up guys to bring green and swear to wifey that it was their "oops"?

good thinking. i've played on that purple cloth and just couldn't get used to it.

dan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> Well the tenor of conversation has become a little heavy of late so I though I'd lighten it up a little bit.

My question is this: Why is the predominant color of billiard cloth green? I have reasons ranging from "it's the easiest on the eyes, to "it was chosen to simulate the color of grass" to "it was chosen to simulate the cash in your wallet!"

Anyone want to relax and have a little fun with this?

<hr /></blockquote>

Once upon a time in a land far far away, France I think, a princess was inspecting the game room where the prince had set up a billiard table, a new craze that was sweeping the nation. The game room could be seen from the main ball room and the grey stone surface of the table clashed with the decore. The princess waved her hand and said pull down those drapes, which happen to be green, and put it over that ugly stone surface. She swished from the room. The prince, wanting to get some after the big dance rolled his eye to the workman giving them a know nod...that is where it all began.......

Never played on purple cloth, but the ph across the river here has gray cloth. It is quite appealing to the eye, until you get down on the ball! It is extremely bright and very hard to get used to when 99% of your play is on green cloth.

Heide

I played on a gray table with gray cloth once. The tadle was a 4 1/2 - 9, but it looked like a 6 by 12 b/c of the color. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr>only one question: how much did it cost you to get the set-up guys to bring green and swear to wifey that it was their "oops"?

good thinking. i've played on that purple cloth and just couldn't get used to it.

dan <hr /></blockquote>LOL! If you only knew...

Funny, though, that you mention it. One of the other things I had to "give in" to the wife about was Queen Anne style legs on the table. I wanted Ball &amp; Claw, but she didn't like them. So the day before they were to deliver the table, I happened to be on Brunswick's website and discovered that Queen Anne in Mahogany was not available for the Avalon table! I thought, crap, they're gonna substitute another leg and the wife will be pissed. Then they showed up with the green cloth, and I thought, double crap, she's gonna be double pissed! Turns out they DID get the Queen Anne legs in mahagony, for some reason Brunswick's site was wrong. When I told them, they said I should've called them and they would have brought the ball &amp; claw and told my wife the Queen Anne wasn't available. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

David