Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moori out of Business?

Moori out of Business?

Someone at my tournament the other night, said that Moori went out of business. I told him he was wrong,....any truth?

Griff
    I can't wait until the next break!!

http://www.geocities.com/griffith_d/firstwebpage.html

Re: Moori out of Business?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> Someone at my tournament the other night, said that Moori went out of business. I told him he was wrong,....any truth?

Griff <hr /></blockquote>
    How do you go out of business, when you are selling tips for pool cues at $15 to $20 each, and people are buying them like crazy?
    [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]I can't wait to read the details on this story, if it is true. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I don't know about out of business, but with the number of layered tips on the market these day they certainly have some competition these days. Come to think about it I haven't seen one around for sale in a while!

Don't know about his story being true or not, but I agree that there is certainly a lot of quality competition in the layered tip market. I personally think Moori's are overpriced and really no better than a Talisman, Hercules, or Instroke layered tip. Moori's go for $25 while Talisman and Hercules go for less than $10 -- I don't know how they can stay in business at all.

David

Mooris go for around $18 now.
    Moori is still the Cadillac imo. They are consistent.
    The other multi-layered tips are crapshoot imo.
    You find very good ones and bad ones.

Moori
    "Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."
    ~"Fast" Eddie Felson~

I believe bought direct, they are about $3.00 a tip. They are offered on ebay for around $12.50 and you can from what it seem, get all you want. There is not doubt Moori has been prostituted for a long time, with people gouging the prices here in the US. They themselves probably make the least on the tips. That is usually the case with all manufacturing though.

Moori Competition and Copies

If you ever get a chance to examine these tips side-by-side under a microscope, you will see big differences in quality, both raw materials and construction. Moori beats the snot out of Talisman/Hercules in quality and consistency of materials and workmanship.

BTW, of all the layered tips on the market, the "Instroke" is the most perfect copy of the Moori I have seen. It is an amazing likeness, even under 50X magnification. The only visible difference is the ink marking, and once installed no one could look at it and tell they had a substitute. I wonder how many installers increase profits by charging for a Moori and using an Instroke? If you don't trust your tip guy, be sure to look at the tip before he puts it on.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> Don't know about his story being true or not, but I agree that there is certainly a lot of quality competition in the layered tip market. I personally think Moori's are overpriced and really no better than a Talisman, Hercules, or Instroke layered tip. Moori's go for $25 while Talisman and Hercules go for less than $10 -- I don't know how they can stay in business at all.

David <hr /></blockquote>
    "If it's yellow and smells bad, it must be nine-ball. Or a diaper (or a Frenchman)."

Re: Moori Competition and Copies

Spiderman
    How did you measure quality and construction?

We are talking about Pig skin, aren't we?
    Are there better grades of pigs? and how are they measured?

Construction process.. layers. glue.. thickness consistancy.. are these what you viewed under the microscope?

Is the construction process or the quality of the pig skin more important.. or are they equal?

Just curious..

Never played with a Moori very long.. it was like playing with a very hard plastic tip. Too much tink and not enough thud.. the feedback of the hit was, IMO, terrible. Way too much of a distraction.

Tom in Cincy, some think the best is from the neck of a vietnam water buffalo. There are all kinds of pigs, take me as a example, no lets dont go there no more. Wonder Dog played a pig in Hollywood last month for 25 grand, He saw the pig in the parking lot, he is a true hunting dog, went yo baby, breakfast is served, prey, went after him, what a rumble, wish I had filmed it. The pig lady about had a stroke. The pig was one hell of a bowler, could not play pool. Some of these tip people are not as big as you think, I had a world champion billiard player tell me he dropped in on Chandeviert in Paris to buy some stuff &amp; it was 2 guys working in a little shop, they had been doing it that way for decades. Nice data guys, nice job on this.
    Regards, Fast Larry Guninger