Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guesstimate on cue value?

Guesstimate on cue value?

NOTE: THIS ISN'T AN ADVERTISEMENT! [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I was about to e-mail Meucci and ask, but couldn't dig up their e-mail, and anyway I think I finally figured out which model Meucci Original I've had for about 15 years. It seems to be a model 84-5. I'm thinking of putting a Predator shaft on it and keeping it, but I'm curious as to what it might be worth. My pro shop gave me an estimate several months back, but it was a guess based on what model we *thought* it was from looking at the Blue Book, and I'm pretty sure we were wrong (don't remember which model we looked at). My pro shop is 30 miles away and I don't know when I'll make it back up that way to check it again, so I figured I'd ask my fellow CCB'ers who keep up with these things what they thought. Note that it looks like a HOF1 or 97-11 production cue, which were apparently based on this one, but this is a custom Original with the small block letters that is mid to late 80's vintage. I think *this* one was based on the old M6. I bought the cue new in the late 80's at a shop in El Paso, TX.

Any collectors or anybody with a Blue Book got an idea? Just looking for a ballpark figure, don't think that I'll sell it, but you never know. It has both original shafts, one is straight and the other has a very slight bow that doesn't effect play much. The butt is pristine, with no serious nicks or scratches.

Pictures are available here for those that want to take a look at it.

Thanks,
    David

Re: Guesstimate on cue value?

This site has some old Meucci fliers on the old series stuff.. some from the 90s and some from the 80s.
    Not a lot of info on costs. But if I had to guess, your cue was around $200 new. With two shafts and the cue in very good shape, you could probably get $350 to $500 for it.

http://www.discountpoolcues.com/meucci.htm

Thanks, Tom. Yeah, I've been to that site -- in fact it was their 80 series flyer that convinced me this was a 84-5 model. But as you said, no prices.

I still have the receipt for the cue somewhere, but I remember paying around $350 for the cue and a box case, so I'd put the price for the cue at around $300 when I bought it.

Based on similar era Meucci's I've seen sell on eBay, I was guessing at around the $500 range. My pro shop looked at the cue, rated it at 95%-97% and told me $750, but I didn't feel quite right about their identification of the model.

This cue has a lot of sentimental value (it's been around the world with me and has played in several countries) so I'm torn on getting rid of it, but I've got an urge for a new custom Jacoby or Blackheart, and if it's worth what I think it is it would sure go a long ways toward making one more affordable. Hey, anybody know any good customer cuemakers who take old Meucci's in trade? [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

David

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> Thanks, Tom. Yeah, I've been to that site -- in fact it was their 80 series flyer that convinced me this was a 84-5 model. But as you said, no prices.

I still have the receipt for the cue somewhere, but I remember paying around $350 for the cue and a box case, so I'd put the price for the cue at around $300 when I bought it.

Based on similar era Meucci's I've seen sell on eBay, I was guessing at around the $500 range. My pro shop looked at the cue, rated it at 95%-97% and told me $750, but I didn't feel quite right about their identification of the model.

This cue has a lot of sentimental value (it's been around the world with me and has played in several countries) so I'm torn on getting rid of it, but I've got an urge for a new custom Jacoby or Blackheart, and if it's worth what I think it is it would sure go a long ways toward making one more affordable. Hey, anybody know any good customer cuemakers who take old Meucci's in trade? [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

David <hr /></blockquote>

If you are at all torn about selling it, don't. I have sold cues I regretted selling. (Not the Meucci I sold though [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) That's why I had my name put on the butt of one cue - so I wouldn't sell it. I don't even like that cue, but will keep it now since it has my name on it. If your cue has sentimental value don't ever sell it. If you play well with it, don't ever sell it. The amount you get will never make up for it. In two years you will have no memory of 4-5-6 hundred dollars. You will miss your cue. Don't sell. Only sell stuff you don't like and don't care about.

It doesn't look like an 84 series. The average going rate on e-bay for this model is about $270 - $330 in very good condition, more like $350 in excellent condition, and low $200's if it's warped. I've seen 5 or 6 sell for this price range in the last few months but the prices are steadily climbing.

Chris

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JPB:</font><hr>If you are at all torn about selling it, don't. <hr /></blockquote>I know what you mean, and I doubt I'll sell it.

David

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> It doesn't look like an 84 series. The average going rate on e-bay for this model is about $270 - $330 in very good condition, more like $350 in excellent condition, and low $200's if it's warped. I've seen 5 or 6 sell for this price range in the last few months but the prices are steadily climbing.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>Why do you say it doesn't look like an 84 series? I can reasonably assure you that it is, unless it's an Original 6 (M6), but unless I'm mistaken the M6 is even older. Mine was bought in the 80's and matches exactly the 84-5 pictured here.

It sounds like you're thinking of a HOF-1, which are the current production remakes of this cue, and which are going for about what you're quoting (retail is $415 and street price is around $340). I've seen a few HOF-1's on eBay go for between $200-$300 recently but have never seen this earlier model on eBay in the last few months that I've been looking.

But, as I said, I probably won't sell anyway.

Thanks,
    David

I don't mind selling cues if I can replace it with one that is more valuable or unique. I'm not a collector, but I do currently own 4 nice cues. That being said, there are a couple cues I wish I still had, mainly an old Schon that was the precursor to the SL10, which I sold about 10 years ago to purchase a limited series Schon (that I still have). Once it's gone, it's tough to get back or find another. I wouldn't sell it to get another production cue, but if you could sell it to provide a portion of the price of a truly custom cue, that might be worth it. I purchased a cue by Chris Nitti a couple months back, and his work is excellent. His prices are very reasonable for a custom cue maker. There are numerous good custom cue makers out there. You just have to do your research and decide what you want and how much you're willing to spend.

OK - You have a beautiful collectible Meucci that is in wonderful condition. But I stand behind the street price of the numbers I gave you 100%.

Sorry, but the cues just aren't selling for what people say they're "worth", especially the eternally optimistic people at Meucci! I have a dozen or so originals including a mint Original "Hook" cue ("worth $1000" according to Mad Mike, bought for $350), an airplane cue ("worth $800", bought for $325) 3 mint Jimmy Rempe Originals (paid $250, $250 and $325, "worth" $500, $500, $700) a mint Hubbart from 1977 (paid $225, worth a fortune I'm sure) a David Howard and on and on. These are all rarer than your cue - all old logo old Meucci's. I've bought and sold a number of more common old logo Originals. An '84 series would be worth more -maybe $400 or even $500, not because it's older but because it's rarer and more difficult for a collector to come by. They're pretty rare. I've only seen one verified 84 series for sale in the last year. Your model is quite common (for an old logo Original) but it is also quite desireable because of its appearance. But the 84 series has a different syle butt rubber piece (your style of butt rubber piece is a little later). Also, I have seen close up pictures of the 84 series and the chain ring pattern is a little different - a little thinner if I recall. I remember also the earlier series of your cue had far less figure in the maple, for example, the MO7 which is the very early version of your stick (probably mistakenly identified when your cue was initially valued). But these earlier versions also had brass joint screws. The numbers Mad Mike usues on his web site are not model numbers, (ie. Original 1, Original 2) they're just numbers he assigns to his photos.
    Anyway, your model, whatever it's called, was pretty popular because I've seen quite a few on e-bay. It would probaly fetch in the higher price range because it looks like it's in terrific shape - probably $350 or so.

regards,

Chris

Thanks, Chris. You sound like you know your cues. I wasn't arguing with you -- I only questioned you because I've run into conflicting info elsewhere. I'm hardly an authority, that's why I'm asking. I also have been checking eBay regularly for the last few months for this cue, and haven't seen anything similar but a HOF-1, but I certainly could have missed some.

I've seen this style cue referred to as an M6, Model 6, and Original 6 from other sources, not just Mad Mike's site. Maybe they're just repeating his lingo, I don't know.

I'm also aware of the bumper style differences. I believe you're referring to the smaller diameter bumper, right? You're correct in that I have the flatter, wider bumper. But of all the Meucci's I've been able to look at, the 84-5 fit the closest. Do you know if they released a model in the 80's between the 84-5 and HOF-1 (which was released well into the 90's IIRC)?

I've about convinced myself to hang onto it, so the value isn't all that important, but this whole mystery of absolutely identifying this cue model makes me want to know even more now. Anybody got Bob Meucci's e-mail address? [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,
    David