Thread: (Yet Another) Cue question -something below $150

(Yet Another) Cue question -something below $150

First of all, I'm new here, I found this forum couple of days ago and I've been reading some interesting threads around here. My name is Deniel and I'm from Jakarta, Indonesia.

I love shooting pool, but with my activity (and financial capability) I only got to be a weekend shooter. I'm thinking of getting a cue (my very first ^__^)and I'm wondering if any of you guys can suggest a good cue under $150? Actually I have my eyes on a predator cue, but the $700 price tag is just way out of question for someone with $200 salary >__<

Anyway.. I've been digging through the internet and I found out a couple of brands that have cues just within my range, cuetec, adam, dufferin cues for example.. So I'm wondering if any of you have given them a try and what do you think about their performance? or if you have any other suggestions? And what about those Taiwan(Chinese) cues, I heard they're are getting better, can you recommend one for me? Thanks ^__^

Re: (Yet Another) Cue question -something below $150

Hey Daniel,

If you want just a cheap good solid playing cue that will give you consistancy I would highly recommend a dufferin. The "Phantom" model has a wood to wood join and a pro taper which I personally regard highly. It is a great starter cue, and if you do get any probs down the track with it, buy another, they only cost $50.

Check it out:

http://www.dufferingames.com/cue_pro...tml?sku=260041

Cheers - qSHAFT
    <font color="red">Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about? qSHAFT!</font color>

Deniel,

I have visited Jakarta but never played pool there. On Bali I had the pleasure of playing some locals at Bali Beach. It was actually a coin bar table set up with snooker pockets, and I ended up playing what seemed like every player in Denpasar in short-rack snooker, or a wierd version of it. We actually drew a large crowd for two evenings - probably 100 people or more. What a great time it was, and a great way of making friends with the Balinese.

My pick for the best inexpensive cues are:

1)Plain McDermott's. On E Bay they are inexpensive, and you are getting a very good cue with a nice finish and a lively shaft. $75 - $100.

2) Mali. Mali puts out a very fine playing cue for the money. Even pretty fancy Mali's are cheap. Good ones go for under $100.

3) Dufferin. They play really good, don't warp easily, and for $50 to $100 you can get a great stick.

The Taiwan and Chinese cues are getting good - but the hit is inconsistent from cue to cue and they are prone to warping. The cues sold as Adams, Players, J and J, Imperial, Quest, etc. I think even Lucasi are all Chinese cues.

Get a very good hard case for your cue. I recommend a Porper case, or any case injection molded to fit the cue. In your wet, hot, and humid climate it will be difficult to keep a cue from warping. (Jakarta is almost on the equator).

Best wishes,

Chris

I am having my Dufferin retapered as we speak. I got it as a gift and love it. It sold for $65 i beleive and is worth every penny. I just like a smaller shaft size.
    I took a Mali that i have had for about 11 years out of the closet and started using it again. I paid i think $70 for it at the time and for the price its a nice cue. Mines got a lot of dings in it but still straight as an arrow.
    I dont think you will go wrong in either direction.

Deniel,

First of all, welcome to the CCB.

I'll second the recommendation for Mali or Dufferin for a good starter cue. I have owned and played with both and liked them both.

Wally

You might be able to go the sneaky pete route. I think you should be able to find a Lucasi sneaky pete for around $150. There might be some other Lucasi cues for around that price range.

Also, check your local pool hall. There are always people selling their cues around my area. I have found some really good deals on Vikings, McDermotts.

There was a guy selling a Schon, Predator BK, and an Instroke case the other day for $700. Someone gobbled them up before I could get there. That was a hell of a deal.
    "Holy Crip, He's a Crapple!"

Hey you can a good players q for about 150.Go to billiardwarehouse.com and look for something in your range.
    Happy hunting.... [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    I lost my "hooker" Now looking for something new to play with.

Well I'm glad you enjoy your time here, Bali is a great place, and I heard they've built a preety decent pool hall there, you know ones with 9' tables and all.

Jakarta has lots of pool hall, I heard there's one with Brunwick GC and Simonis cloth just opening, I'd love to play on one [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Well I've been hearing nothing but good things about Dufferin's Sneaky pete, but frankly, it's just to simple for my liking.. So I was wondering if the other lines from dufferin is as good as this sneaky pete? Any model recomendation? And also couple of mentions on Mali, which particular models are we talking about here? Is it in general a good cue maker?

And I need to mention that shooping from the internet may not be a good idea for me, I live so far away (on the other side of the earth actualy ^__^) that shipment alone will cost $70-$75 so no e-bay for me [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Checking my pool hal is not a good idea either, most just use house cue ^___^

Oh, and thanks for the warm welcome, appreciate it [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]