Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Move Active threads to the top (Poll)

Move Active threads to the top (Poll)

There is option when new replies are made to a thread, the thread will be move to the top of the postlist. If off, threads will stay in their original position. This is a board wide change meaning there is not a way to have preferences override this setting.

Below is poll on if user would like to have active threads move to the top? Based on the response we will decide to use this feature or not use it.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1014048546ccboard_admin">

Moving Active Threads to the Top

<INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="1">Yes

<INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="2">No

<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Re: Move Active threads to the top (Poll)

I just voted yes but now I realize that since Patrick answers all his own posts over and over that will keep him at the top. Retract my vote please. Can I vote more than once? I have three ISPs going here and can get to several local libraries to vote more times. Don't do it, there will be abuse.

So by doing this newer post will not appear on top? If it were an option I'd be interested but since everyone now has a favorites file do we really need another big change?????

Ken

There will be abuse from some people no matter what you do. But what about threads that are very popular, there might still be people responding but you will have to go back looking through the pages in order to find the thread. The convience of bringing threads to the top far outweighs the minor annoyance of having Patrick constantly at the top of the page. IMO of course.

Stauber

OK I like the idea of chronological by last post in a thread. I hate the pages. I hate the mandatory emoticons that add too much clutter. Went to Playpool and it was like returning home. Actually better since the posts were expanded and I didn't have to keep clicking on the first post to see who replied.

I think that new topic posts will quickly get buried on other pages so you will have to open everything to find new topics. I'm beginning to think it is a bad idea. I don't like the pages anyway. I got on page two a while ago and thought nothing was happening. This is becoming unwieldy.

Believe me all, we definately want the posts to come to the top. All of the hot topics will not be hard to find and the annoying ones disappear quickly.
    If Patrick posts don't reply, if he keeps answerering his own posts the moderator can block his IP address and he will lose his priviledges to post here. If he keeps replying to his own post they will definately be able to notice it since it is always at the top.
    Another ethical way to use the "TTT" (to the top) is to wait at least a day before bringing your message back to the top. The community is still pretty small so the messages won't be too hard for people to find. Also, with the "view display" you can see how many people have seen your post and the people just might not know how to confidently answer your question.
    Trust me TTT is something we, as a community want.
    Best regards,

You forgot the "Maybe" option.

If you CAN'T fix the problem where all the links to the messages I've read get reset every time I leave the site, then there is no choice but to put the new post's thread at the top.

Otherwise, I'd like the thread to stay where it was. BUT, I'd also like more than 50 posts per page please. (I didn't spend a lot of time *discovering* if there is a larger magic number, but all the numbers I put in that were larger than that failed.)

Oh yeah, and can we change the fact that everyone is listed as "stranger"? I know some are stranger than others, but not all of them!

Moving active threads to the top of the list is the way to go on this type of forum. There is little need to worry about what any one particular poster out of hundreds may do.

Off the top of my head, I can think of three other forums that use this top of the thread system. Each of these forums are widely acknowledged as far and away the premiere internet forums in their respective fields.

If you want to see what the system looks like in action, the forums are:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/
    http://www.forums.woodnet.net/
    http://www.ford-diesel.com/

I thought you said to move the *thread* to the top.

I see now it's been changed so that the responses are in reverse chronological order in the threads, with the newest response at the top of the thread. I prefer it the other way, with the older messages in the thread at the top and the newer messages in the thread at the bottom, but I suspect based on comments here that I'm in the minority about that one. I thought you were asking about rearranging the threads themselves, not the order of the posts within the threads...