Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: instructional videos

instructional videos

Hi, does anyone have suggestions for just basic instructional videos (or DVD's) on pool playing? I would appreciate any help...titles and/or locations where I might find such videos? Thanks!

Re: instructional videos

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote helengene:</font><hr> Hi, does anyone have suggestions for just basic instructional videos (or DVD's) on pool playing? I would appreciate any help...titles and/or locations where I might find such videos? Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>

Here are three that I highly recommend:

1) "Byrne's Standard Video Of Pool and Billiards-Volume I"
    by Robert Byrne
    2) "Byrne's Standard Video Of Pool and Billiards-Volume II"
    3) "How To Play Pool Right" BCA (Billiard Congress of America) Master Instructor Jerry Briesath.

You can purchase them online thru:
    http://www.billiardfanatic.com/

Get them. I know they will help you learn the fundamentals. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Fats
    SF

Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake.-- Tartakower

the best videos you can buy is jimmy reids (no time for negitive)and (the art of 8-ball)he has a site that is awsome its freepoollessons.com there is stuff on his site that is the best around and jimmy always there for you with e-mails tell him BIG JIM W.sent you he's a really good freind

Before the days of computers, websites, and instructional videos, Jimmy Reid was one of the few top players who took me under his wing, always giving me good advice.

At the last U.S. Open, I was experiencing a little inconsistency in executing a few of my standard shots while practicing. Jimmy noticed my dilemma and told me to address the ball a little differently than I was doing, something he did show me a long time ago, and it did improve my comfort level. He is one of the true legends out there that I respect, as a friend and mentor, and I think his instructional videos would be a must-have for folks learning the basics. It helps to practice good habits from the start, and it is harder to change bad habits once developed.

Earthquake

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr>At the last U.S. Open, I was experiencing a little inconsistency in executing a few of my standard shots while practicing. Jimmy noticed my dilemma and told me to address the ball a little differently than I was doing, something he did show me a long time ago, and it did improve my comfort level. <hr /></blockquote>Did he tell you to use a little more of a side armed stroke? [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. What works for me may not work for others, but there are some basic fundamentals that need to be reinforced from time to time. There aren't very many folks around anymore with his level of expertise, and having Jimmy as an objective bystander would improve anybody's game, including mine.

Earthquake

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr> There aren't very many folks around anymore with his level of expertise, and having Jimmy as an objective bystander would improve anybody's game, including mine.<hr /></blockquote>Well, what did he tell you?

While practicing, he observed that I was standing a little too much upward. I wasn't down far enough on the ball, and he suggested that I try to get down a little farther, than where I was, when addressing the ball.

Earthquake

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr> While practicing, he observed that I was standing a little too much upward. I wasn't down far enough on the ball, and he suggested that I try to get down a little farther, than where I was, when addressing the ball.

Earthquake <hr /></blockquote>

How did this affect your play, being too upright? I was a little (2 inches) too low, resulting in a stroke that was somewhat inconsistent. When i went up two inches, it straightened out nicely.

This is a recent change, so I still have to concentrate on this part of my fundamentals. Hope one day, all of that will just be natural without having to check on it each time I address the ball. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Amazing things a good instructor will notice and what you can learn from watching a good stroke on a video. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

BW

Thank you, thank you so very much....the website is fantastic! In fact, it already has been a great help to me! Sincerely, helen