Thread: love the "Flat" option

love the "Flat" option

May be some of you have not tried this but you can now view all the post on a thread already open and scan them with out having to click on each one and wait for it to open by choosing the "Flat" option. I found this a tedious process on the old board. You can set this in your preferences at "MY Home" so they will automatically open that way.
    I think the only thing I don't like is that all the post are not contained on one page. But that is a small thing, nothing is perfect and the good far out ways the bad. Oh, I'd love spell check too but that's asking a lot!

Acceptence is the answer to all my problems....;-)

Re: love the "Flat" option

See you never know, I just went into My Home, display edit and changed the number of "parent Post' from 25 to 50 and now I see most of the post on one page!! Honestly if you keep an open mind and just experiment a little you can set this up any way YOU want!!! How can people complain about that?

Cuechick

You could do this on the old message board as well, all you had to do was change the preferences to guestbook-style threaded.

Stauber

Hmmm, I don't think we are talking about the same thing, I went to the other board (Playpool) and tried to set that preference and all it did was list the post, I still had to click on each post to open it. Here, by using the 'flat' option I only have to click on the main topic and scan down all the post ALREADY OPEN. I find this a lot more conviennent. I tried severel different options at PP and did not get the result I have here. There are certain differences in mac formatting to the PC's...

Cuechick

We are talking about the same thing. With the old board and playpool I have always been able to open the main thread and not have to open any more after. Like you say the flat mode is much better than the threaded mode.

Stauber

Correct me if I'm wrong:

One of the things I like is that when I read a message, the link changes color to indicate that I've read the message. If I use the flat option, I get to see all the messages, but all the message links colors don't change. Thus, someone could come along and add a post to a thread I've already read, and I could easily miss it because it isn't a different color.

Is there a way to use the flat option and still have the color changes?

Re: love the "Flat" option?

Stauber...When using the "Flat" option I understand you click on one post and see all the other ones in that thread. My question then is: Are "all" those messages then marked as having been read here? On other new boards on which I post which have the flat style, the whole thread posted at that point is considered as read. When I then return to the board several hours later and new messages are added to that thread, it shows up as "new" and therefore I know enough to go back an read the latest posts. Here, I'm not sure if that is the case. Am I missing something? - Howie

Hey guys,
    As of now, the only way to tell if there has been a new post to a topic that you have read is the number in parenthesis in the "reply column". ie 24 (2)... obviously this means 24 posts have been made an 2 of them you have not read.
    Hope this helps.

Howie

As of now the colors are changing on me everytime I leave the board and then come back. I'm confident that will be fixed in the near future *Stauber crosses fingers*. Most of the new style boards I post at have the color change when there are new messages and the threads with the newest messages cycle to the top of the page. This seems to work quite well.

Stauber

TheShot,
    Thanks, I was trying to figure out what that was for. Helpfull information.