Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back Pain

Back Pain

Anyone suffering from back pain due to increased play/practice? I have recently started practicing daily for 2-4 hours and my back is killing me!

I'm taking 1000mg of Ibuprofen daily (before practice) but it doesn't help.

Any ideas?

[color:"red"]RackMup![/color]

Re: Back Pain

Try beer!

I know you're kidding, but tequila shots along with the ibuprofen seem to help me!

probably stance issue. without seeing you i can't tell for sure but you might look at the "squared-up" - allison fisher stance.

Good afternoon Ken:

My practice sessions typically run a minimum of 6 Hours a day three days a week. As such, when I strated about a year ago, my back was killing me. What helped me the most was an increase in the walking I did for exercise as well as to increase the number of abdominal crunches I do on a regular basis. I walk from 7 to 10 miles per week and do an average of 100 abdonimal crunches every other day. Strenghten the lower back and abdominal muscles, as well as the upper leg muscles, and the pain will end.

Dr. D.

This should go away after a while, as your back muscles strengthen in adaptation to the new demands you are placing on them. A while back I (with the help of a couple of pro-snooker-players-converted-to-pro-pool-players) switched to more of a snooker stance than a Pool stance. It KILLED my back for a while. But now, I can play in that stance all day. (Why did I make that change in my game? Long story.)

Also, try getting a massage at least once a week. It can do wonders for your body and mind. Tell the massage therapist what is going on ("I'm playing Pool for hours every day, and my back is killing me"), and they should be able to adjust the massage to help address your concerns.

recently i played for 6 in a half hours, my back among other parts were killing me, so i rested in bed for 2 days and my back is hurting from resting in bed for 2 days, you can't win.

Dr. D makes sense. This is the best advice. If however, you still have pain or if you can't do the exercise, try changing your stance so your feet are closer together and more under your hips. The wide stance places a great strain on your back as you rise from the table, since the legs cannot provide any support. You are lifting your total upper body weight with the small of your back.

Pool relaxes my back from the pain I develop while sitting at this stupid computer. Jake
    Old Jake

Ken, considering 800mg is the max dosage a doctor will
    prescribe, you may be hurting more than your back, ie liver.
    Walking or exercise related to the lower back is good.
    I use an E Trainer, its a type of pedal machine, and it really keeps my lower back lose. Pool is like golf in
    a way, you bend from the hips to assume stance.
    If one slouches over the table the back is more rounded
    and causes more strain. Your weight should be balanced
    and favor the back foot. Ever since lower back surgery
    I realized what little respect I/some of us has in that
    area. Look on a good search engine about back problems,
    exercise, related to your issue.

Rod

<span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>