Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WILL SHE AND WHEN?

WILL SHE AND WHEN?

will allison fisher make a come back, if so when? my opinion is she will make a come back, but it won't be ti'l septemeber. what's your opinion?

Re: WILL SHE AND WHEN?

Allison had a tough year with her father's passing. I know they were very close, I would not count her out of anything. She is still my fav female player and this should be an exciting year!

Fisher is my favorite WBPA player and I think she will be tough again this year but.......Corr has used the Joss tour to sharpen her game even more. Corr has taken it to a new level competing against top men players. Fisher is going to have to throw on the after-burners. I wish her luck.

Don't count out Jeanette Lee.. she is mounting a comeback big time. Korr and Fisher better be on their top games.

It is very possible for Allison or Jeanette to challenge #1 in the next 5 tournaments (through the US Open in September). All they would have to do is make up 230 pts (AF) or 270 pts (JL). Yeah...like that will be easy.

To be able to pull that off at this point will be very difficult. Karen has established herself as the one to beat. I like all three players very much, but the fact remains...Karen is now the one on top and rightfully deserves that crown. She has worked very hard, and her #1 ranking is no fluke.

Allison and Jeanette will have to be searching for the next level of focus and determination to overtake #1 at this level. Not an easy task.

It should be an exciting year.

Current standings

Karen 1765
    Allison 1480
    Jeanette 1080

Standings with the first 5 events dropped off.

Karen 960
    Allison 730-needs to make up 230 pts in the next 5 events.
    Jeanette 690-needs to make up 270 pts in the next 5 events.

Points man,
    Mike Hurst--

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

my opinion is she (Allison Fisher) will make a come back, but it won't be ti'l septemeber.

<hr></blockquote>

bernie,
    I am fascinated by the specificity of your prognostication. I was going to leave the question unasked; but since this thread has generated some other interest, I am compelled to inquire:

What methodology and/or reasonings did you use to predict a comeback for Allison in September.

Why September? Why not sooner? Please elaborate.

You are prolific with product endorsements and player predictions; but they appear dogmatic absent any explanation of how you arrived at your conclusions.

With Allison, there is absolutely no question as to her talent to get back to #1 - only whether she wants it bad enough to put in the now considerable time and effort that would be necessary. As great as Karen Corr is, IMO if Allison had put in as much practice and tourney play (other than WPBA events) as Karen has the past 3 years, not only would Allison still be far better than Karen but by now she would also be narrowing the gap between her and the top male players - just as Karen has done.

Whether Allison can now catch Karen is largely up to her, and it won't be at all easy at the level Karen is now playing at. There's no question that playing on the Joss tour against the top men on a regular basis is certainly a huge advantage Karen has right now over Allison. It's an advantage I would have though would have paid off also for Nicole and Tiffany by now, but it really hasn't at least as of yet.

I think you'll see both Karen and Allison dominating the finals at the tour events this year, with possibly a tournament win for Jeanette. Remember that Allison finished last year very strong - numerous runner-up finishes to Karen followed by a win in the finals against Karen in both the Tourney of Champions event and the World Championship event. It took a "perfect" match by Jeanette to prevent another Karen v Allison finals showdown at the Nationals. Valley Forge will certainly set the tone for the remainder of the year. - Chris in NC

I didn't know Allison retired. Jean Balukas or Allison?

I know I already posted once on this thread already, but wish to add a few thoughts - as many here may know I'm a very loyal Allison supporter. I don't think it's really fair to use the term "comeback" for Allison for this year - as if she'd been injured, retired or her game had really gone south for awhile.

As stated by another poster in this thread, Allison lost her Dad (whom she was very close to) to cancer one year ago this month - one month before the first WPBA tourney of the year in Valley Forge. As expected, she struggled with her emotions and her confidence early and registered a few lower (than her normal) finishes in her first few events. She then went on a long string of tournaments the remainder of the year in which she finished no worse than 3rd place.

Yes, she was shutout by Karen in all the WPBA Classic tour events BUT she won arguably the 3 biggest titles of the 2001 year - the Asian Amway Cup (largest purse), the T of C (2nd largest purse) and the WPA World 9-Ball Title (most prestigious of all titles). She suffered 3 consecutive tournament losses in televised race to 7 final matches to Karen, only after having soundly thumped Karen in the winner's bracket final in all 3 of those events. For the year, my guess is that Allison and Karen's heads up match record against each other was virtually split dead even, as where no one other than Jeanette Lee was able to defeat Karen Corr for the entire year!

Although Karen had a record setting year and snapped Allison's 5 year reign of #1 ranked player and POY, by anyone else's standards Allison had a GREAT year. It just might be a little unfair and premature for us to insinuate she's in a slump, but then I guess that's only because of the sheer domination she's had in this sport for the previous 5 years.

With all that said, I for one think she will return to the WPBA winner's circle real soon. I heard she's been practicing on a table with 3-1/2" corner pockets and running racks! I know all her fans would love nothing more than to see her victorious in Valley Forge. - Chris in NC

Well stranger things have happened. Look at the CCB!