Thread: Learning Billiards

Learning Billiards

I'm new to billiards and I was wondering if there was a website that could teach me things like English and that sort of stuff...

Re: Learning Billiards

http://www.easypooltutor.com/
    Try this site. It was very helpful to me and one I frequently visit. Good luck.

books, videos, and websites are good to get basic information, but the best thing you can do is get a QUALIFIED instructor to work personally with you. It's not as expensive as you might think, and you can gain a lot more from it. The BCA has a list of instructors on their web site www.bca-pool.com go to "play" then "instruction" then list of active instructors.
    Good Luck.
    PBIA Professional Advanced Level Billiard Instructor

How new? If you are honestly picking up a cue for the proverbial first time, then I will say that you should explore books and video instructional BEFORE investing in personal instruction, especially the pricey lessons by certified BCA instructors. Get your foundation and general understanding about the stance and stroke first, else you will end up paying for the first round of lessons, and then be needing to buy the same round all over again soon afterwards. The ideal scenario is to have a friend who had been through the gambit of lessons via the supposedly certified instructors, and your friend can pre-empt you on much of the same stuff. Btw, Fast Eddie Parker's tape is very well priced for what you get, 3 hours of instruction, beginning with the raw fundamentals, it used to be 29.99. JM2C sid
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"

I'm also new at pool. the http://www.easypooltutor.com/ website is awesome. <font color="blue"> </font color> Thank u everyone for the good advice. [img]/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    I have no signature. hmmm... I'm sure i'll think of something.

I'm also new. Not that I had never picked up a stick before but I am just now trying to learn the game instead of just hitting balls around at the bar.

Two other things I found here that I have found useful have been the book blackbelt billiards
    (
    http://members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards
    )

and a member here, blackjack david sapolis, has a website
    (
    http://www.geocities.com/blkjackds12/
    )
    that has a lot of good information

-craig
    I'll start respecting your opinion when you stop making sh*t up.

Just a little bit south and east of Hamiltucky a little bit west of the Atlantic Ocean

Blkbeltbilliards is a member here as well named Socrates. Many have raved about his book. I'll be buying mine beginning of the year. Steve is one heck of a nice guy as well.

Kato
    Signature deleted by***********Kato

Contrary to what some people have posted on this web site because of their own personal vendetta's,and their negative attitude towards BCA Insturctors is not only showing that he does not care who he hurts in our sport because he had a bad experience, this does not mean others will. He is giving advice based on how he wants to learn &amp; how much he is willing to spend on his own game. people learn in different ways, some learn best by reading, some by video, some by audio and video, some are hands on only, Books and Video Tapes, and web Sites repsent The Beauty of Thery VS The Mess of Reality. The Beauty Books, Videos,Web Sites VS (truth of the matter is you must do this hands on yourself) No one can teach you how to play pool we can only teach you how to learn to play pool.

Thanks all for the great learning sites. I just started to pick up playing pool as well. Just a dumb question here: Does anyone know of any games you can play by yourself? The answer may be obvious to everyone but me. I'm just looking for a good way to practice and keep track of progress. I'm assuming you can't really play 8ball against yourself. Hehe...

Yes you can try Q Skill

Or 9 ball q skill

or Fargo

Or you can play reg Rotation or reg 9 ball or 14-1. Go to BCA for more games and rules if you like or buy a BCA rule book for even more games but most important is the rules.

Rod
    <span style="color: blue">be smooth; better control and power with less effort.</span>