Thread: smoking and alcohol

smoking and alcohol

We are in the middle of the Bible belt in the midwest. We want to put in a pool room with no smoking or alcohol. Our community is 10,000 people but our town is a hub and we collect the sales tax of a town of 30,000. We have alot of blue collar workers and the nearest recreation, pool, is 50 miles away.

Does anyone at Billiards Digest or anywhere else know of a pool room without smoking or alcohol, that did not go broke.

Thanks

Jim

Re: smoking and alcohol

Hi Jim,
    Where abouts in the midwest? KCMO here. I know of non-alcoholic succeeding but I don't know about no-smoking.

Hi Jim---You are taking a chance! However, I hate when I smell my smokey clothes, after coming home from pool playing! I would definitely attend a smoke/alcohol free pool place! You got to meet the other requirements-reasonable prices for table time-good competition (very important)You must hold tournaments that pay $ !! IMHOGood Luck Snoking

Re: No smoking or drinking pool hall.....HEY CHRIS

Chris in NC, who has posted just below this post hs a room in Boone N.C. where smoking and alcohol are both not allowed and he says he does well but depends on the resturant business to keep it going. Regards, JimS
    JimS

"no non-chalantin at the pool table" Frank "Sailor" Stellman

I live in Southeast Minnesota in a town of 25,000. In the past ten years I have seen two pool halls open and close. The first was closed do to it being such a dirty enviornment and the owner ran off with the cash one Monday night, the other was just too expensive.

I would say go for it, If you keep a nice place and give away games for a decent price, you should be on a roll
    I don't know why it itches there....

I applaud you and say go for it. In L.A. they do not allow smoking in pool rooms and I love it when I am there. They do have outside areas where people can smoke. My theory is that pool rooms probally keep more non smokers away than they would keep smokers away if they did not allow it. Smokers are use to not being able to smoke in a lot of places and tend to adjust. And if you love the game you will do what you have to to play, I do everyday!
    Part of the reason I no longer play in the APA is the smoke. I just can't take it anymore. I love that the BCA tourney in Vegas does not allow smoking in the arena. I honestly do not believe pool/ smoking and drinking are all intertwined.

I would contemplate the thought of selling nicorrette (the gum) at your new venue. That way smokers can chew the gum when they feel the nic fit kicking in.

I think that will be the way of the future - no smoking. Especially when cigs go to $7.00/pack. The Patriot Cup that was held last weekend in Tampa had a no smoking rule in the section that was curtained off for the event and no one seemed to mind it. Jake
    Old Jake

I said the same things lots of times and people have a crap attack. I feel good knowing that there is people that think the same way.

It easy for many people that have the choice, the problem is what if there is no choice. That's the problem.

We only have APA(CPA) and the league events are smoked up like a smoke box. We don't have BCA.

So I left the league. [img]/ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I know I am not the only one but nobody is willing to fix it for the good of the majority and to bring in new people into the sport. Yet they come complaining to me how the league is getting smaller and smaller and they are running out of people to make teams. [img]/ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]